What’s a Good Snack on a Sunny Day? Shave Ice!

Hawaii is known for being very hot. That’s why one of their most popular snacks is shave ice. It includes ice powder, different flavored syrups, and a few toppings. As you know, ice is super cold and balances out the heat from the sun perfectly. Usually you choose two to three flavors and the workers will put the flavored syrup on for you. After that, you can buy extra add-ons including condensed milk, mochi balls, vanilla ice cream, azuki beans, Oreo’s, and Hershey’s chocolate. My favorite is condensed milk because I love the creamy taste of milk and the sweetness to make one great sauce (sometimes the workers put a lot on for you!).

The quantity of the ice must be very good to be shave ice because if the ice is too hard, all the syrup will sink to the bottom and the ice won’t be flavorful. For example: I went to a Stanford football game at night and wanted some dessert when I saw the snow cone man. My dad gave me some money and I went to buy the snow cone. After I bought and started to eat it, I realized something. The ice was so hard that the juice could not sink in! I had just bought a big hunk of ice in a cup with some over-sweet grape juice at the bottom. What a waste of money!

The syrup quantity is important too! If the syrup is too sweet, you basically are eating a mouthful of sugar. Eww! If the syrup quantity is good, then you can really get a full shave ice experience! Syrup flavors like mango, vanilla, strawberry, kiwi, and cherry are always expected because those flavors are always at ice cream shops. Some other unique flavors such as rootbeer, bubblegum, cotton candy, and lilikoi can really add a twist to your shave ice. Another example: when my family and I went to eat shaved ice, I saw a rootbeer flavor and instantly bought that flavor because usually my mom never lets me drink rootbeer. I also had mango syrup alongside with the rootbeer, so the two were made one of the wackiest flavor combos in the world! If you ever get shave ice, tell me what your favorite combo? Heres a link to my favorite shave ice shop (President Obama also goes here and they even made a flavor choice named after him): Waiola shave ice

9 Comments Add yours

1. CC says:

Yum! Waiola Shaved Ice! My favorites are the rainbow shaved ice, bubblegum and creamsicle!

1. n8chen says:

Really? I thought you never liked rainbow.

2. Uncle nick says:

Nate – you have inspired me to try mango with condensed milk! I have never had shaved ice so far but will keep my eyes pealed from now on…

1. n8chen says:

Hawaii has the best shave ice in the world!. I have never seen better shave ice out side of Hawaii. If you want good shave ice always go there.

3. Cathy says:

Nate, I am definitely inspired to go to Hawaii some day to try out all of these foods you’ve so beautifully written about! Thanks for all the tips!

1. n8chen says:

Hawaii does have some good foods. almost a quarter of my favorite foods are from Hawaii!!! Can you believe it!?

4. Rowland says:

Nate, I had a root beer and banana cream combination at Waiola a few days before you – root beer and a fruit flavor is the best. Great minds think alike.

1. n8chen says:

Poppee thinks that the banana flavor is artificial, so I was wondering if thought that too.

1. n8chen says:

But, I have to admit, the root beer flavor is the best.