Hey! It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these…
Opening Note: I’m going to assume that most of you have been to Trader Joe’s before, but if that’s not the case, go check it out (especially if you’re tired of Safeway, Whole Foods, etc)!
Trader Joe’s most certainly falls under that “more than meets the eye”/”don’t judge a book by its cover” category. It’s scarcity and small appearance may not put it at the #1 spot, but I assure you, Trader Joe’s really is a true hidden gem. Its vibrant decorations/signs, creative product descriptions, reasonable prices, and rustic setting are only some of the memorable things that a shopper will recall. And we haven’t even gotten to the food yet! Trader Joe’s obviously appeals to those who love natural and organic products. Though small, the small grocery chain attracts loads of shoppers due to its emphasis on healthy, non-processed foods. It also features many “signature” products (own label) as well as new and innovative ones as well. Simply put, if you go into Trader Joe’s with an open mind, you’ll love it. There are so many delicious items at Trader Joe’s, but today, I’m going to share with you our (things that my family and I enjoy) top ten:
- Mini Ice Cream Cones! These little desserts are perfect if you want something small. Filled with fresh vanilla ice cream and rich milk chocolate, they’re the perfect “quick eat”. Keep them in the freezer and they’re good for almost a whole month. Once you open the box though, know that the cones start to get a little more stale each day from then on out.
- To be honest, nothing “beets” fresh, organic beets, but this is a real nice second option. The beets come pre-cooked and pre-skinned so you can toss them on to a salad or heat them up in the microwave right away. If you don’t want to put in the work of dicing/peeling beets, just buy this. Looking for ideas, see my beet salad post.
- Easily one of our favorite snacks for long car rides and plane trips. They’re basically rice crackers flavored with this really appealing soy sauce flavor. They’re a little salty, but if you can make them last a long time by slowly sucking the flavor out. Be careful, you might get addicted!
- These raw pine nuts have the most extraordinary flavor: subtle, but also “earthy”. Roast them in your toaster for a perfect salad topping.
- It’s not the healthiest breakfast option, but this soft, sweet bread still has less sugar than say, a cinnamon bun from the bakery or a donut. With a little butter (or not), it’s the perfect “on-the-go” breakfast. In addition, if you cut the slices into fourths, you can also make delicious French toast with it.
- This innovative, new product is perfect for vegetarians and low-carb eaters. Try sauté-ing it with onions or garlic for a nice kick.
- Throw this on the pan with a little oil, salt, and chicken broth for a nice vegetable dish. You don’t even need to do any cutting! It’s healthy, flavorful, and convenient!
- For me, these pretzels are an iconic snack. They give the usually salty pretzel stick a sweet kick. Again, they’re another great travel snack and they’re healthier than something like potato chips.
- Sort of the Indian version of the Chinese green onion pancake, these are an excellent way to quickly “make” (heat-up) yourself a nice carb supplement. In addition, with a nice balance of salt, they’re quite delicious by themselves as snacks. Don’t get fooled by the title though, because you can really eat these with all sorts of cuisines.
- I’m already a big fan of Indian food, and though frozen, these veggie samosas are incredible! Just pop them in the oven for about ten minutes and you’ve got yourself an appetizer, a finger food, a snack, maybe even a whole dinner! The crispy outside matches excellently with the strong Indian flavors inside. Careful not to burn your tongue!
You already know what I’m going to say. Seriously though, next time you’re near Trader Joe’s, consider stocking up on some of these products. They can really save you some time, and the quality is unbelievable. But the list doesn’t stop there. I’m sure many of you have already found your favorite Trader Joe’s products, so why not share them down below in the comments section? It’s taken us (mostly my mom) a while to find our go-to items, but I’ve got to say, with Trader Joe’s, it’s definitely worth it.